We are pleased to announce the 10 individuals who have been selected to receive the newly established CBE Distinguished Faculty Award for Lifetime Achievement.
The college created the CBE Distinguished Faculty Award for Lifetime Achievement in 2016 and invited nominations in 2017. This award recognizes permanent, retired faculty members who have made important contributions to their field and have had significant impact on the college’s community of faculty, staff, and students.
“It is an honor to recognize these outstanding faculty for their inspiring leadership to students and colleagues alike,” said John Schaufelberger, Dean of the College of Built Environments.
The honorees are listed in the order of the date each joined the faculty of a department.
- Carl F. Gould (1873-1939) was the founder and head of the Department of Architecture from 1914 to 1926. His firm Bebb & Gould planned the core of the UW campus and designed more than ten UW buildings as well as many other important buildings throughout Puget Sound region. Gould Hall is named in his honor.
- Lionel H. Pries (1897-1968) taught at UW from 1928 to 1958 and was the inspirational leader of the architecture program from the late 1920s through the mid-1940s. As a professional architect, he was one of the earliest practitioners to work in a Northwest regional mode of design. The UW CBE student-initiated Award for Teaching Excellence is named in his honor.
- Victor Steinbrueck (1911-1985) graduated from UW in 1935. He joined the UW architecture faculty in 1946, served as Architecture Department Chair from 1961 to 1964, and taught until 1976. Steinbrueck is most recognized for his civic involvement, his role in the creation of the Pioneer Square and Pike Place Market historic districts, and his focus on the buildings and open spaces of Seattle as an embodiment of local culture. Steinbrueck Park is named in his honor.
- Myer R. (“Mike”) Wolfe (1918-1989) joined the UW faculty in 1949, serving until 1982. He was the founder and first chair of the Department of Planning (now Urban Design & Planning) and he served as Dean of the College from 1979 to 1982. In his professional career in planning and urban design, he was a leading advocate of participatory processes and community involvement.
- Keith R. Kolb (b. 1922) graduated from UW in 1947; he joined the architecture faculty in 1952 and retired in 1990. Architecture students of the postwar years have called him the most “student-oriented” member of the faculty. His professional practice career has been primarily recognized for design of commercial and institutional buildings.
- Richard (“Rich”) Haag (1923-2018) joined the faculty in 1958 and was the founder (1964) and first chair of the Department of Landscape Architecture. An inspirational teacher, he developed and taught a “non-striving approach” to design based on his experiences in Japan. During a 60-year professional career, he produced a wide array of notable projects, including internationally recognized work at Bloedel Reserve and Seattle’s Gas Works Park.
- Grant Hildebrand (b. 1934) joined the UW architecture department in 1964 and retired in 2000. An award-winning teacher, theorist and writer, he was the first to explore the application of prospect-refuge theory to architecture. As an advocate for Northwest architecture, he was a columnist in the Seattle Times in the 1980s, and subsequently has published a series of books about notable Seattle architects and their work.
- Andris (“Andy”) Vanags (b. 1942) joined the architecture school as a staff member in 1969 and soon began teaching, becoming a lecturer and senior lecturer before retiring in 2009. He cultivated the school’s culture of materials and making, co-founded and led the design/build program from 1977 to 1989 (with Barry Onouye), and founded and led the award-winning studio furniture program from 1989 to his retirement.
- David Streatfield (b. 1935) joined the UW landscape architecture faculty in 1971, and taught the history of landscape and environmental design for forty years, serving as department chair from 1991 to 1996, and initiating the international program in landscape studies. His publications addressing the history of landscape architecture are widely acclaimed and he has been a frequent consultant on landscape, conservation and preservation projects.
- Dr. Sharon Egretta Sutton (b. 1941), joined UW in 1998 with over two decades of teaching experience, she was a professor of architecture and urban design & planning and adjunct professor of social work until 2016. Prolific author and co-author of five books and over 50 articles and book chapters, she was the twelfth African American woman to be licensed to practice architecture, the first to be promoted to full professor of architecture in an accredited program, and the second to be elected a fellow in the American Institute of Architects. At the University of Washington, she was principal investigator of a national Ford Foundation study of civic engagement by low-income youth, work that earned her the AIA Whitney M. Young, Jr. Award.