The first time you use a non UW computer to work with the Citrix Application Server, you will need to download and install the Citrix Workspace Client. If the computer you’re using is a CBE-provided lab/studio/library loaner machine, you may skip to the login steps. Access to CBE Citrix off campus requires the use of UW OnNet VPN prior to attempting to connect. The Citrix server is not visible from outside UW networks.
- To use CBE Citrix off campus, download and install UW OnNet VPN from here: https://softy.cac.washington.edu/HuskyOnNet/ Login with your netid credentials.
- Open a browser and go to https://citrix.be.uw.edu .
- If you are on a non-CBE computer, you will need to install the Citrix Workspace application. Click the “Detect Receiver” button. Then check the box “I agree…”, and click “Download”. Launch the downloaded installer and follow the instructions. When the installation is complete, click the “Finished” button in the Citrix Workspace installer window. If you are using OSX 10.14 or older, Download Legacy Mac client
- Restart your computer.
- Login via Workspace Client (best option): Server: citrix.be.uw.edu, Login with your UW Email Address as your username (ie. email@example.com) and and your UW password. If you do not see any Citrix “Apps” send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting assistance.
- Login via Browser only if you have issues logging in via the Citrix Workspace Client Go to https://citrix.be.uw.edu. If the Install message appears again, click “Already Installed”. Log in using your UW NetID and password. Sometimes Citrix gets confused about whether its receiver has been installed. If you have already installed the Citrix Receiver, click “Already Installed” to bypass the initial window. If you are using Chrome, you may notice that a Citrix application doesn’t launch, and instead downloads an “ica” file. Simply right-click the file at the bottom of the browser window and choose “Always open this type of file”. Relaunch the Citrix application and it should open directly from then on.
- For more detailed Citrix instructions, see CBE-citrix-instructions.
Free ArcGIS Desktop/Pro for UW students/staff/faculty.
UW students, staff and faculty can now install and run ArcGIS Desktop products on their personal Windows computers. Off campus use requires use of UW OnNet VPN to connect to the UW ArcGIS license servers. This software must only be used for UW-related academic purposes.
ArcGIS software downloads require being connected to UW OnNet VPN. Copy & Paste the download location into Windows File Explorer location bar, NOT a browser. Drag the ArcGIS Desktop or Pro installer from the ftp folder to your computer for installation.
UW ArcGIS Desktop Info: https://sites.uw.edu/arcgis/software/arcgis-desktop/arcmap/
ArcGIS Desktop Download: ftp://software.gis.washington.edu/ESRI/ArcGISDesktop/10.8.1/ (access via windows explorer not a browser)
ArcGIS Desktop UW Licensing Info: https://sites.uw.edu/arcgis/software/arcgis-desktop/arcmap/on-campus/
UW ArcGIS Pro Info: https://sites.uw.edu/arcgis/software/arcgis-desktop/arcgis-pro/
ArcGIS Pro Download: ftp://software.gis.washington.edu/ESRI/ArcGISPro/2.8/ArcGIS_Pro_28_176919/
Free Autodesk software for UW students/staff/faculty
Anyone with a UW email address (@uw.edu) may participate in Autodesk’s Education Community program. Along with much educational material, most Autodesk applications are available for free through the program, on a three-year time out license.
UW-IT Autodesk for Education information page
Autodesk Free Software page
Fusion 360 Free Software page
Free Bluebeam Revu for Students
Bluebeam is now offering all students free 1 yr licenses to install Revu on their personal Windows computers. Fill out the form at this location and receive an email with download instructions and a license key.
Free Lumion student licenses for UW students
Full-time UW students in AEC-related fields can gain free access to the student version of this visualization/rendering package.
Lumion’s hardware requirements are significant, and may not run well on some laptops. Details are available on their web site:
Free Microsoft software for UW students
Thanks in part to funding from the UW Student Technology Fee, several Microsoft applications are available for free download by UW students. For more information about this program, and to download the software, please check out UW-IT’s software site: UW-IT Microsoft Software for Students information page
Adobe software for UW students
UW students can purchase Adobe Creative Cloud directly from Adobe’s website at a reduced price. Adobe CC Student Pricing.
The per month price is for an annual commitment. Canceling early incurs penalties. See section “Education, annual contract, paid monthly” here:
Rhino software for UW students/faculty
Rhino is available for an extended 90-day free trial. Students can purchase a perpetual license at a reduced price here:
Free Enscape software for UW students/faculty
UW students and faculty can register with Enscape to receive a free 6-month license for non-commercial use. Register at EnScape Educational Licensing using your UW email address and follow the instructions.
Free ArchiCAD software for UW students/staff/faculty
UW students, faculty, and staff can register with Graphisoft to gain free access to ArchiCAD for the duration of their time at the UW. To take advantage of this offer, register at www.myarchicad.com using your UW email address and follow the instructions.
Sketchup for students
Sketchup for the web is free, with reduced functionality.
Students can purchase Sketchup Studio at a reduced price:
Other packages may offer significant deals. Please email email@example.com with any queries.
|Adobe Creative Cloud||2021||Acrobat DC, After Effects, Audition, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom Classic, Media Encoder, Photoshop, Premiere Pro|
|ArcGIS (ESRI)||10.81||ArcCatalog, ArcGlobe, ArcMap, ArcScene|
|Autodesk Suite||2022||3dsMax, Autocad, Architecture, DWG TrueView, Fusion 360, Inventor, Navisworks, ReCap, Revit, Robot|
|Comfen (LBNL)||4.1, 5.0|
|ESRI||ArcGIS Desktop Apps(10.71):ArcCatalog,ArcGlobe,ArcMAP,ArcScene, CityEngine(2019), ArcGIS Pro(2.6)|
|Google Earth Pro||7.3.4|
|Land F-X||17.40||AutoCAD Plugin|
|Lands Design||5.5.0||Rhino, Autocad Plugins|
|LBNL||Optics6, Therm 7.7, Window 7.7|
|Microsoft Office 365||16||Access, Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project, Publisher, Word, Visio|
|MySQL Workbench||8.0 CE|
|R, R Studio||4.1, 1.4|
|Rhinoceros||7.8||Plugins Bongo 2, Climate Studio 13.7, Enscape 3.02, Flamingo nXT 5, Grasshopper 1.0, Lands Design 4.9.9, V-Ray 5.1|
|SketchUp Pro||2021||V-Ray 5.1 Plugin|
|Stroboscope/EZStrobe||4.2||Visio 2016 Plugin|
|UW VPN||f5 BIG-IP Edge Client|
|VideoLAN VLC Player||3.08|
|Adobe Creative Cloud||2020||Acrobat DC, AfterEffects, Audition, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom Classic, Media Encoder, Photoshop, Premiere Pro|
|Citrix Receiver||12.1.1||Citrix software portal|
|Google Drive||latest||desktop google drive access|
|iTunes||10.15||music player, store|
|Microsoft Office||2019||Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Teams (office software)|
|Microsoft Remote Desktop||10.5||remote access software- access CBE RAL computers|
|Photos||10.15||Apple photo management|
|Quicktime Player||7||Screen, camera video recording|
|Rstudio||1.4||GUI for R statistical package|
|SketchUp Pro||2020||3D design software|
|TOR Browser||10||Secure private browser|
|UW VPN||f5 BIG-IP Edge Client|
|VLC Player||2.2||video player|
|xCode||8.2.1||Apple’s integrated development environment for macOS|
|ArcGIS Desktop||10.81||ArcCatalog, ArcMap, ArcScene|
|Bluebeam Revu Extreme||20.2|
|Primavera Risk Analysis||8.75|