Skip to content

Computing FAQ

  1. Help! I can’t launch Revit/Rhino/other software on one of the library loaner computers when off-campus. What do I do?
    You need to set up a VPN connection to the UW network using UW-IT’s Husky OnNet VPN service. Here are instructions.
  2. I’m having troubles getting up to speed with ArcGIS. Is there a resource on campus where I can get help?
    Yes! Check out the Suzzallo Library GIS Lab.
  3. How can I gain access to the College’s laser cutters?
    Laser cutter information is available on the Fabrication Labs page.
  4. How do I sign up to borrow computing equipment from the Built Environments Library?
    Have a look at the BE Student Loaner Program page.
  5. Where in BE can I find a particular software package or unusual hardware?
    Have a look at our BE Software + Application Server page.
  6. What computing facilities are available in the College of Built Environments?
    Have a look at our Computing page.
  7. Where can I find online manuals for BE student loaner equipment?
    Have a look at our Student Loaner Program page.  Links to manuals are in the sidebar.
  8. Where can I learn about free software for CBE students?
    You’ll find this in the Software Deals for UW/CBE Students section of the Software + Application Server page.
  9. What computer should I buy?
    Check out our Computer Purchase Tips page!
  10. How do I use the videoconference systems in Gould 227 and Arch G042?Have a look at the Newline X7 User Manual, especially pages 14, 15, 18, 19, 32, 33, 36-38. If you need more help, contact the CBE Computing help desk (, 206-543-8531).
  11. I’m having odd problems with software in one of the BE labs or studios, or on a laptop I borrowed from the BE Library. What shall I do?
    Let us know! Send email to, or call the BE Computer Consulting number, 206-543-8531, for help.
  12. Where can I get help with my personal computer?
    While we do not have sufficient resources to provide a lot of help with technology that is not owned by the UW, you can stop by the Digital Commons help desk, email us at, or call 206-543-8531 and we’ll try to help.  A more comprehensive option is the UW-IT Computer Vet and Tech Help Desk service, which is specifically intended to provide UW students, faculty, and staff with help for their personal computers.
  13. I forgot my UW NetID password and my account is locked out. What do I do?
    Check out the UW-IT page, where you’ll find a link to reset a forgotten password.

Be sure to check our Tutorial page as well!